By Deb P
A self-hosted WordPress blog -- also known as a standalone WordPress installation -- gives you more control over the appearance and functionality of your blog. You can choose from thousands of WordPress themes, modify existing themes, install any plugins and host advertisements to make money from your blog.
Many web hosting companies provide auto-installers that will install your WordPress blog with one click. If yours doesn't install, follow these instructions to set up a self-hosted WordPress blog on your own website.
1. Download the zip file from http://www.wordpress.org/download.
2. Unzip the file on your computer.
3. Upload the unzipped files to your Web server.
4. Navigate to http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/wp-admin/install.php.
5. Follow the prompts in your browser to install your blog.
The installation takes about five minutes and your WordPress blog will be ready to use right out of the box. If you want more bells and whistles, you can easily search, preview and install themes and plugins from within the admin panel of your blog.